WTF?

0

Written on 12:01 AM by c meridian


WTF?, originally uploaded by write2inbox.

"WTF"
So I went to my (future) office today to pick up some employment pass forms
this morning. As I was leaving, I was stopped by a lady, who introduced
herself as C*****. She knew my name is Kenny and proceeded to ask me...

Miss C: Hey, are you Kenny?
Kenny T: Yea, that's me.
Miss C: Hi, I'm C******
Kenny T: Hi, Miss C******
Miss C: Our company is having its annual company trip this thursday.
Kenny T: Wow. That's nice.
Miss C: Yea. I am just wondering if you are keen to join us?
Kenny T: Umm..Yea sure...
Miss C: Great. The company will shorten its business hours on Thursday...
and the pick up will take us from the office to the Superstar Aquarius (Star
Cruise). And we will come back the next day at 8am. The transport will drop
us all back in the office and work resumes as usual. Nobody is allowed to
take leave or call in sick on the Friday we arrive...
Kenny T: Oh ok. (Thinking that this will be a good time to bond with my new
colleagues)...
Miss C: That's great. But to be fair to the other employees and since you're
new... you will have to sign a 6 month contract with us.
Kenny T: Umm.... (thinking... "WTF?").... ok.

A quick check in the net turned out that... that One Night International
Waters Cruise on Superstar Aquarius (aka cruise to nowhere)... costs SG $
140/pax at most (for 4 to go in an ocean view stateroom with window).
Considering now the entire company is going and there are like 40 people
going on this trip... well, it could be well below that price. And they want
to freaking make me sign a 6 month-contract just to cover SG $ 140? WTF?...

I don't think this is fair, as my agreement during the acceptance of
employment was for 3 months probation and it will be reviewed after that. I
sincerely do not intend to leave the company within 6 months, but I think
this is simply company paranoia... and it's putting me in a difficult
position... where

- If I Decline
It will look bad on my commitment to the company. I will look like I am not
a team player and don't care much for my rapport with the other employees
(and future colleagues)... I don't want to piss off the upper management
people either and start my new job on the wrong foot with them. They could
be making my life hell, you know?

- If I Accept
It's unfair for them to throw me into a 6-month contract, where the company
is seemingly doing out of pettiness and so-called just treatment to all
other employees. That is not what I agreed to orally during my earlier
conversation with the employer. Out of the blue, they put this on the table
- damn if you do, damn if you don't situation. Secondly, it's super
tiring... Have you heard of such a company trip? Oh my god. What have I
gotten myself into...

If you enjoyed this post Subscribe to our feed

No Comment

Post a Comment