Microsoft = Idiots

0

Written on 1:11 PM by c meridian


Microsoft = Idiots, originally uploaded by write2inbox.

"Size Does Matter"

How many of you use Microsoft Office to do work? Oh, I think if I got a show
of hands, it would be plenty. Unless you're a janitor or a despatch boy,
there's no escaping Microsoft's ubiquitous office productivity suite. But
here's my problem with it, as I do with most Microsoft's products... it's
just not very well designed. It's not well made. It's not very well thought
out. Just look at the picture above... 153.3MB update. Wow. I mean if this
was an operating system update, I could still understand... but this is a
program I do spellcheck, word count and type my articles in. Ok, I edit a
few monthly charts on Excel too... and WHICH OF THESE PROGRAMS NEED 150+
MEGABYTES of stability and performance update?!!!

This is the Microsoft Office 2008 update dated 24 June 2008. And if I
recall, the last update was done only last month. As usual, when I fired up
Ms Word, I was asked by the Office AutoUpdate agent to perform this
"critical" update (dated Wednesday, May 14, 2008) that's about 180MB large.

And the end result, you know what? That's more then 330MB of updating in a
little more than 40 days. That's a third of a gigabyte... for a program that
I use to type and do spellcheck for.

So I am guessing if I don't perform this "critical" update, my Macbook will:

1. Spontaneously combust, spewing it's innards like thousands of
little shrapnels penetrating my eyeballs, piercing my lungs and into my
throat, so eventually leaving me in a CRITICAL condition, I can't scream for
help or see the telephone to dial 999.
2. Will stop doing spellcheck.
3. Give inaccurate word count.
4. Give hackers access to modify my Word document, edit them with
profanities and save it over the original file. So when I sent it to my
editor, I will be CRITICALLY embarassed.
5. Excel will no longer show the rows and columns (or numbers)
6. When you try to open the Ms Word program, it sends your credit card
information to a penis enlarging company and automatically puts you on an
appointment for next week
7. Install a "Start" button on the left bottom corner of the Mac OS X
desktop.
8. Have 330MB more space, than before I decided to update the f***ing
Microsoft Office crappy suite of programs.

I think no.8 hits the point I'm trying to say like a bullseye. I can't
believe a non-operating system software can need so much updating to do the
simple task of just preparing documents, spreadsheets and presentations for
work or student assignments.

I long for the times gone by when Word was simply a powerful word
processor... not a gateway to security vulnerabilities. It's supposed to an
offline program, a word processor/spreadsheet, why is it vulnerable to
attacks? It's meant to be used offline. It's not an email client or a web
browser!

You know what, I think Microsoft Office... does do something really well....
they really suck well.

If you enjoyed this post Subscribe to our feed

No Comment

Post a Comment